One of the things I really miss about teaching, is gathering all of the supplies and resources for my many thematic units. My favorite part of each new unit was collecting special picture books to feature in our classroom library. I have found, and believe that children really buy into learning and education experiences when they are tied to a fun and interesting theme. Towards that end, I have began to incorporate thematic units into our learning time at home.
Since our backyard garden is now in full swing, I thought it would be fun to gather up a stack of great books about gardening for kids! Here is a list of some of my favorites!
1. The Carrot Seed by Ruth Kraus
2. The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle
3. Strega Nona’s Harvest by Tomie dePaola
4. Eating the Alphabet by Lois Ehlert
5. The Curious Garden by Peter Brown
6. Compost Stew by Mary McKenna Siddals
7. Jack’s Garden by Henry Coles
Enjoy your books! There are so many other great books about gardens to choose from! Just like a vegetable garden, choose a few that you like the best, and savor them! Never stop reading with your children!Pin It