Orange Creamsicle Cake
This simple cake is the perfect way to enjoy the taste of summer all year long. When it’s too chilly for an orange and cream popsicle, bake this cake instead!
We made this cake as part of our Family Fun Night, and everyone loved the bright orange flavor paired with the creamy vanilla frosting. It’s easy to make, and takes a simple boxed cake mix to the next level.
1 white cake mix
eggs, oil, and water as directed on package
1 small package orange JELL-O
1 1/2 cups water
1 small package vanilla pudding
1 1/2 cups milk
2+ cups whipped cream
1. Bake the cake as directed on the package. While the cake is still warm, poke holes all over the cake using a fork.
2. While the cake is baking, mix together the JELL-O mix with 1 cup of boiling water. When the JELL-O has dissolved, stir in 1/2 cup of cold water. Allow the JELL-O mix to cool at room temperature.
3. When the cake has been allowed to cool for about 20 minutes, pour the JELL-O mix over the cake. The orange JELL-O will seep into the holes, creating a tasty orange swirl.
4. Refrigerate the cake.
5. Mix together the vanilla pudding with 1 1/2 cups milk. Allow the pudding to begin to set up. When slightly thickened, stir in the whipped cream. I take out some of the pudding and reserve for another snack, and add just a bit more whipped cream. You really can’t go wrong with this “frosting.”
*You can also use the Cool Whip Frosting. It’s a bit firmer and you don’t have to take the time to make it!
6. Spread the “frosting” on the cake, and place back into the refrigerator.