World Elephant Day & the 96 Elephants Campaign
Today is World Elephant Day – a day to get the word out about the Wildlife Conservation Society’s 96 Elephants Campaign. Each day, 96 elephants are killed by poachers. This campaign hopes to raise awareness and bolster elephant protection. You can find out more about the campaign by visiting 96elephants.org.
To help get your kids involved, here are a few activities:
- Download and print this elephant template and allow your child to color it. Post a picture of your child online with their elephant and use hashtag #elphie
- Print out an elephant mask for your child. Upload a picture of you or your child wearing the mask on social media and use hashtag #elphie. You can print the mask HERE.
You can also:
- Go to 96elephants.org and sign-up to take the pledge to not buy ivory and support the US ban (and state bans) against ivory sales.
- Visit the Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, or other WCS parks on World Elephant Day or anytime during the week of August 12-17 and show your support by wearing grey and participating in elephant themed educational activities.
- Follow 96 Elephants on social media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube
“If we do not act, we will have to shamefully admit to our children that we stood by as elephants were driven out of existence.”
~Samantha Strindberg Wildlife Conservation SocietyPin It