It’s a rare occasion when my counter doesn’t have a plate of goodies on it. I love to bake and enjoy putting homemade treats in my husband and childrens’ lunchboxes. I also love to bake because it usually means some focused time with my girls. Both of my girls (8 and 2) love to help me in the kitchen. My 8 year old is becoming an awesome cook and baker, and can follow recipes independently. (She also makes better chocolate chip cookies than I do – and I’m known for those!) My 2 year old loves to sit on the counter and help me stir or add ingredients. I love raising up girls who will know their way around the kitchen when they have a family of their own.
Last week, my oldest daughter came to me during the “witching hour” and asked if we could bake. The kids were in full-on crazy mode. The house was messy. Dinner was in the works. Homework battles were ensuing. The last thing I wanted to do was sit and bake cookies. However, I didn’t want to shut her down, and wanted to give her the chance to enjoy this skill/hobby. Scotcheroos came to mind. These bar treats are simple to prepare, require only a handful of ingredients, and don’t require baking. No watching the oven!
And did I mention that Scotcheroos are AMAZING?! The topping is really what makes these bars extra special. The consistency of the topping and the flavor combo of the peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch is incredible. You’re going to love them! Enjoy!
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips
1. Put corn syrup and sugar into a pot and cook over medium heat, stirring regularly to dissolve the sugar. Heat the mixture until boiling, and remove from heat.
2. Stir in peanut butter and mix well. Add cereal and stir until coated.
3. “Spread” mixture into a greased 9×13 pan. (You will need to use a spoon/spatula, and then pat the mixture down with your hands. I like to give my hands a quick blast of cooking spray to prevent them from sticking.)
4. Stir the two kinds of chips together in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave .the chips for one minute and stir. Continue this process until the chips are completely melted. Spread the mixture over the top of the cereal.
5. Allow the chocolate mix to cool for about an hour before serving/eating. Cut into bars and enjoy!!Pin It