ShillerMath Review: Everything You Need In A Single Box
This post is a sponsored conversation written in partnership with Shiller Math. I received a complimentary kit to facilitate my review, and was compensated for this post. Opinions are 100% my own.
As a homeschooling parent, I’ve spent a lot of time researching curriculums. LOTS of curriculums will tell you that they were designed with homeschoolers in mind. Shiller Math truly is. (And if you’re anything like me, and don’t especially love math, you’ll like this kit!) The lessons are scripted and require ZERO parent prep or planning (a fantastic bonus if you’re teaching more than one grade!)
The ShillerMath Kit. Everything you need in a single box. (Truly!!! This is an “Everything-But-The-Kitchen-Sink” kind of kit!!!) Everything you see below is part of the ShillerMath Kit 1. This set of books and materials will take you all the way from Preschool – Third Grade! No hunting down separate test booklets, manipulatives, flash cards, or other materials – it’s all there.
This is a curriculum that is worth the investment – especially considering longevity AND the included manipulatives and math tools.
Kit I contains Books 1, 2, and 3 and their associated answer guides, for a total of six full-color, wire-bound, lay-flat books. These books include the diagnostic tests, test answers, and a list of lessons to revisit when a test question is answered incorrectly. *I love this feature!!
Kit I also contains over a dozen different manipulatives, including a balance, number cards, number tiles, foam ball, dominoes, a US/metric ruler, wooden shapes, dice, measuring cups, and operator cards. There are so many of the included manipulatives that you just don’t find in other sets/kits. These are high-quality math tools that will help your child explore mathematical concepts in a hands-on (and engaging!) way.
Kit I contains a wide range of decimal material, including 100 unit cubes, 27 ten rods, 27 hundred rod, and 17 thousand cubes (1 plastic and 16 cardboard) along with a wooden decimal tray. *This is one of my favorite features of the kit, as understanding place value can be tricky for many children. The manipulatives and corresponding lessons teach this concept at a conceptual level – allowing kids to not only do the problems, but understand what each number represents. (That’s huge!)
*image courtesy of www.shillermath.com/blogspot
Kit I also contains a parent guide, lesson and diagnostic test tracking sheets, and an audio CD with 25 catchy songs that integrate directly into the lesson books. You’ll also get a lifetime download license for all children of one generation in the family. This is a handy and money-saving feature for families with more than one child. (Buy the kit once and use it with all of your children!)
- Shiller Math stresses conceptual ideas over rote memorization. Children learn how and why mathematical concepts work – allowing complex ideas to be introduced early (and with understanding!)
- The curriculum is not workbook/worksheet heavy. Kids who are bogged down in solving endless math problems may thrive as they begin to learn math through manipulatives, exploration, and oral answers.
- The included diagnostic tests allow parents to know which lessons to go back and review with their child. The curriculum is flexible, also allowing you to skip over concepts your child has mastered. (The Included Concept Index in Book One is awesome!)
- Each of the learning styles is addressed. (Each lesson actually tells you which learning style is used!) Visual, kinesthetic, auditory, and those students who learn through writing will each have an opportunity to learn in their preferred style.
- The curriculum moves from subject to subject- revisiting topics in a more in-depth way as they are encountered again in the book. This approach is great for students who like variety.
- Every review I’ve read online (and I read A LOT of homeschooling blogs) mentions the unparalleled customer service at Shiller Math. This is a customer service team that genuinely cares about helping you help your child learn. This is a personal, family-oriented business that truly cares about their customers.