This is one of my favorite lunches to throw together on a busy homeschooling day. It’s warm, comforting, low in calories, and delicious. And it just so happens to be one of my daughter’s absolute favorite foods. (And if you have a kid who actually begs for squash soup, you make it!)
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed OR 1 pkg. frozen butternut squash cubes (I’ve used both)
2-3 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup chopped carrots (peel if necessary)
1 32 oz. box chicken stock/broth (one of my all-time favorite pantry staples)
salt and pepper to taste (watch the salt if your boxed broth/stock is on the saltier side)
1/2 tsp cumin (This is my butternut squash soup secret ingredient!)
a few shakes of creole/cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning. I put it in everything. Almost.)
croutons (my personal fave) or oyster crackers
REAL parmesan cheese
This one is SO easy to throw together!
- Start by preparing your vegetables, peeling and chopping if necessary. Put peeled and chopped squash, potatoes, and carrots into your Instant Pot.
- Add the broth/stock and spices.
- Set your Instant Pot valve to “Sealing” and set for 7 minutes on Manual Cook. (Normal pressure)
- As soon as the 7 minutes are up, do a quick release.
At this point, your soup will look like this:
5. Using an immersion blender, puree your soup until smooth and velvety.
6. At this point, I recommend tasting again, to adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve with any desired toppings or enjoy as is. It’s delicious!
Enjoy soup? Try these other Chasing Supermom recipes: