It’s Sunday…time to once again step into The Confessional….the place where we purge ourselves of our guilt and parenting shame and find healing and acceptance from our peers (who read this column each week and think, “Oh thank GOD, someone else does this too!) We confess to find validation…to know we are NOT alone…You are not the only parent who has let DJ Lance Rock babysit. You are not the only parent who throws away puzzle pieces and Barbie shoes because it is easier than putting them away. You are not the only parent to look at the clock around lunchtime and think, “how on earth am I ever going to make it through the next 8 hours?!” We all struggle. We all fail. We’re all “chasing supermom.” However, today’s confessor, is chasing SuperDAD! That’s right ladies, I am proud to introduce our first ever Dad to confess. It is an honor to have James Rohl, fellow blogger and stay at home parent on the website today! I began following @portlanddad’s tweets awhile back, and knew right away I wanted to have him on the blog! He’s witty, honest, and I would love for you to check out his site! http://www.sahdpdx.com You can also find him on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/portlanddad
I hope you will enjoy The Confessional from a man’s perspective today…Sit back, relax, grab some coffee, and get ready to breathe that sigh of relief…Here we go…
Father forgive me…
- I tell everyone that we don’t watch too much TV because kids need to be engaged but as I type this the boys are watching TV so I can waste time on the computer.
- I tell my kids that my lunch is “Spicy” to keep them from mooching bites of meals I know they will love.
- If the house is still a mess when Beautiful gets home from work I make up stories about what a rough day we had even though the real reason has more to do with watching 4 straight episodes of The Shield while the boys took naps.
- There are two closets that my wife does not look in regularly, and those closets contain most of what was previously on the floor of the living room 10 minutes ago.
- Starting a video for the boys and piling clothes in front of our bedroom door so they can’t easily get in is not exactly sexy foreplay, but it’s an effective start.
- I try to project an air of laid back indifference but inside I’m pretty cocky about how much better I am at parenting than you are.
- Knowing the right proportions to make a good gin and tonic might be the thing I most proud of teaching my four year old.
- I yell much too often, and feel bad about it much too infrequently.
- Showering more than twice in one week has not been a part of my routine for far too long.
If YOU would like to confess, let me know and I will get you on the schedule!
I love your site! This is the first time I’ve been here, but I’ll for sure be back again! I am the WORST at letting my kids watch TV. My mom sends me articles about how bad it is to let kids watch TV…(I know, mom)…but what am I supposed to do? Sometimes there’s no other choice!
Thanks for letting me get all this off my chest, I feel lighter if not absolved.
They figured out they like “spicy”! What am I supposed to say now?!?!?!
this is awesome, I have some home several times to a thrashed house, and my husband watching “The Shield”, what is with guys and that show?
This is great!
So good to know that it’s not just SAHM’s (or maybe just me!) for whom showering regularly is not high on the priority list!
#10 I also watch far too much ’60s tv
Oh, I love this!! Thank you so much for the great Sunday afternoon laugh. Still laughing at the computer while my toddler screams at my husband about something downstairs. And I do feel better about myself, but I still feel like you’ve left your dignity intact here, Portland Dad. So let’s be friends! 🙂
So glad to find the Chasing Supermom blog! We just moved back to the NW, and it’s like a little rainbow each time I find a cool, humorous NW parent blog. Rock on!
I cannot express how excited I am to read these confessions. I now know that no parent is perfect least of all me and it feels great knowing that even though I’m not perfect, I’m NORMAL!
I absolutely love this. OMG to great! Thank you for linking up on the Mystery Post Blog Hop this week.