I will be the first one to admit that I’m a tad OCD when it comes to cleaning my house…Messes tend to send me over the edge and I find myself unable to relax in a messy/cluttered home, so I knew early on that I was going to have to find a way to keep my house clean without losing my mind. Contrary to popular belief, stay at home moms don’t have a never-ending magical supply of time to devote to polishing their silver and buffing their windows to a sparkly shine. Life is very real at our house, and with three kids, a photography business, and the Chasing Supermom website to run, time is very rarely on my side! While I LOVE having a perfectly clean house, I don’t like spending every second of my day cleaning. I needed a real-world solution that would work for a busy mom….something broken down into manageable pieces….very little stress…almost no mess. And ladies, it works! (And my hope is that it works for some of you as well!)
For the Chasing Supermom Cleaning Schedule, I broke my chores down by day, doing a little bit each day of the week.
- Fold ALL laundry
- Put away ALL laundry
- Hang up ALL clean clothes
(For more information on Chasing Supermom’s Laundry System: An awesome way to do your laundry ONCE a week, and only spend 30 minutes folding/putting away a week click HERE)
- Wipe down the interior of your car (dashboard, arm rests, console, steering wheel, car-seats, cup holders, etc) Clorox wipes work great for this!
- Pick up any cups/wrappers/toys/garbage in the car
- Replenish the toy/book bag in the car (If you don’t have a toy/book bag in your car, I recommend them! Keeping a bag of toys/books in the car helps keep car rides quiet and calm! I change out the books once a week to keep them fresh and new for the kids! Things like flash cards, Brain Quest, travel drawing pads, car games etc. are great to keep in them too!)
- 1st and 3rd Monday- Vacuum your car
- Vacuum the house
- Sinks, mirrors, and counters (EVERY bathroom!)
- Vacuum the house
- Sort and file your mail
- 2nd and 4th Thursdays – Clean your tubs and shower stalls (If you are in a home that requires a tub cleaning every week, adjust as necessary. Children who have sports practice in mud, a husband with an outdoor job, etc may more frequently cause a shower to need cleaning!) Twice a month works at our house, but do what works for your family!
- Vacuum the house
- Dust (If you hate dusting like I do, you can do Upstairs dusting on the 1st and 3rd Fridays, and downstairs dusting on the 2nd and 4th Fridays)
- Wash ALL laundry
- Dry ALL laundry (Again, click HERE to find out more about Chasing Supermom’s Laundry System)
- 1st and 3rd Saturdays: Change the sheets / Wash the dirty sheets / Dry the dirty sheets
- Run and unload the dishwasher (Unload the dishwasher AS SOON as it is done drying! Then immediately load it back up with any dishes that have accumulated in your sink or around the house!)
- Make the beds (Train your kids to make their beds early! Make yours as soon as you get out of it in the morning. Make it part of your routine. Soon, making the bed will become a habit. It only takes a second or two, and it makes your room look so much tidier (which will help you relax!)
- Make your children pick up ANY and ALL toys out at naptime and bedtime EVERY day! Toys should NOT be left out for you to stare at.
- I should note that although I’ve indicated on my chart to vacuum 3-4 times a week, it should be said that I vacuum my house everyday…but again, I’m a crazy person…
- Do the 10 minute tidy each night before bed!! Take a sweep of your main living area, and pick up anything that doesn’t belong!
- Sweep the kitchen as needed
- Take out the trash as needed (I make it a habit to empty EVERY trash the day before trash day however!)
Doing just a handful of tasks each day really makes cleaning your house quick and easy…and the grand thing…your house is ALWAYS clean! I also love that if a day gets crazy, or something unexpected comes up, it is easy to just move the jobs you missed to the next day. I also love that things like my bathroom and my car always stay neat and tidy. After the first initial clean, they stay pretty nice if you are keeping up with the schedule, so every cleaning thereafter is pretty quick! I hope you will take on the Chasing Supermom Cleaning Schedule, and see how it works for you! You really CAN have a clean house without the stress! If I can do it, so can you!
Happy cleaning everyone!
Here are a few more of my posts on cleaning: