My husband grew up on homemade pizza. His family made pizza just about every week, and it is one of the foods from his childhood that he still loves today. Ever since we’ve been married, I’ve struggled to find pizza crust recipes. I’ve bought the pre-made crusts (which can be spendy), the dough balls from the pizza parlor, and have tried countless from scratch recipes. I love working from scratch, but often don’t have the time to sit and wait for my dough to rise….Let’s face it, most busy moms are cooking dinner on the fly, and don’t have three hours of prep time. I needed a good, solid, QUICK pizza crust recipe to have in my back pocket. I’m excited to share this one with you!
This is not Italy’s finest pizza crust, but it is tasty, easy, and quick to throw together at the last minute. It really does take 20 minutes! Here is what you’ll need to put together this easy from scratch pizza crust.
2 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 t sugar
1 cup warm water (around 110 degrees, but I just go by feel)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 T olive oil
1 t garlic salt (You can add an extra 1/2 t if you’d like more flavor)
1. Add the warm water to a mixing bowl. (I use my KitchenAid.) To the water, add your yeast and sugar. Stir the water, and let it rest for about 10 minutes. When you check on the yeast mixture, it should be foamy/creamy. If it isn’t, most likely your yeast is expired, or you used too hot/too cold of water.
2. Add in the flour, oil, and salt, and beat until smooth. Don’t overmix the dough. Just mix until everything is worked in and the dough comes together in a nice elastic ball.
3. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes. (You can let it rest longer if you want to, but letting the dough rise longer than five minutes is not necessary!)
4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface, and place on a pizza pan/baking sheet. I like to coat my dough with a light layer of olive oil, and sprinkle garlic seasoning (we use Johnny’s) around the edges.
5. Put your favorite sauce and toppings on the pizza and bake in a 400-450 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. (Oven heat and cooking times may vary. Watch your pizza to make sure it doesn’t burn.)
This is such a quick and easy crust. You CAN work with yeast, and you can make home-made pizza without having to buy the expensive pre-packaged crusts! Enjoy!