Are you looking for a delicious (and adorable!) Easter treat? In this recipe, chocolate and peanut butter combine in one “hoppy” union (sorry…couldn’t help myself!) These peanut butter eggs are sure to put a smile on your family’s face this Easter, and these are a great recipe to make with your kids!
Thanks to my husband, I am a Buckeye at heart, and these little eggs pay homage to the buckeye we traditionally make at Christmas. However, the fun egg shape gives this popular candy a cute seasonal twist.
Here is what you’ll need to make these adorable chocolate peanut butter eggs!
2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 c. margarine (softened)
1/2 t vanilla
1 bag chocolate chips
1 T shortening
1. Mix together your ingredients until a soft dough forms. If the dough seems too dry, add a teaspoon of milk at a time until you have the consistency you want. If the dough seems too wet, add small spoonfuls of powdered sugar until you have the consistency you want. (I like to start with less powdered sugar, as I don’t like dry and crumbly buckeyes.)
2. Here comes the fun part! Kids really love this part! Shape the play-dough like peanut butter dough into your egg shapes. These don’t have to be perfect…have fun with it! If you had an egg shaped cookie cutter, you could roll out your p.butter dough, and cut out the egg shapes. We had fun just free-forming them though!
3. Pop the peanut butter eggs into your freezer for a few hours.
4. Melt your chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave, stirring after 1 minute. Melt until smooth.
5. Dip the frozen p. butter eggs into the melted chocolate, and lay on a parchment covered cookie sheet. When all the eggs are coated, refrigerate! (The coating process may take a little trial and error to find a system that works for you. I like to use the two spoon method. These won’t be factory perfect, but who cares? These are super cute and tasty in a home-spun and made with love way!
Now try not to eat them all, and see if you can save some until Easter!! Have a wonderful Easter season everyone!!