This morning, a cute 4th of July treat idea showed up in my facebook feed. Like many of those who commented, I thought it was adorable, but had too much sugar.(It was a fruit roll-up wrapped around a Swiss Roll!) So, I set out to create my own version.
This fun edible firecracker is super simple to make and is the perfect snack for your 4th of July celebrations! My kids and I had fun creating these together this afternoon. You will too!
licorice (Twizzlers or licorice strips will work best)
Cool Whip or frosting for “glue”
1. Mix one packet of JELL-O mix with 1 cup of boiling water. Stir well until all of the gelatin has dissolved.
2. Pour into a 13×9 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Place in the refrigerator for one hour, or until firm.
3. Cut your bananas into large chunks, making sure your banana has a flat surface on the bottom and can stand upright. (You can snack on the ends!)
4. Remove the JELL-O from the pan. (It will slide right out if you sprayed your pan!) Cut into rectangles. You can lay your banana down on top of the JELL-O to know how large to cut the rectangles. (And hey, it’s easy to trim if you cut it too large!)
5. Wrap the banana with the JELL-O. We found that we needed some “glue” to help the JELL-O stick. We used a tiny smear of Cool Whip Frosting, because that is what we had on hand. Any type of whipped topping or frosting would work. (Peanut butter or Nutella would work too, but we didn’t think they would taste good with the JELL-O.)
6. Using a knife or fork tine, cut a small hole in the top of the banana. Place a small strip of licorice into the hole. This will be your “wick.”
7. We added just a touch of sprinkles on top.
These are super fun, and a sweet little snack for your kids. Have a safe and happy 4th of July everyone!!