My husband and I love to garden. Each year we plant a variety of vegetables, and then enjoy our fresh produce all summer long. One of my absolute favorite things to grow is zucchini. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite ingredients to cook with. While I’ve been experimenting more this year with main-dish recipes featuring my favorite squash, I don’t think any summer recipe collection would be complete without a good recipe for zucchini bread.
Once I make a batch of this tasty bread, you better come running to the kitchen to cut yourself a piece, because it disappears! All four of my kiddos LOVE this stuff. My two year old was walking around the house today singing, “nummy nummy zucchini bread.” It’s just that good. You’d never know this bread was made with squash, whole wheat flour, and applesauce!
This recipe makes two loaves – although sharing might be more difficult than you think! You can also use this recipe to make 24 muffins (which are great to freeze for busy mornings!) Enjoy!
3 cups grated zucchini
1 2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together the zucchini, sugar, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and eggs until well blended.
3. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Divide batter between two well-sprayed loaf pans. (I just spray the bottoms – to help the sides “dome.”)
5. Bake for approximately 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
I know you’re going to LOVE this zucchini bread! Enjoy!