I LOVE Kindergarten! I spent three years as a kindergarten teacher, and absolutely loved going to school every day. I’ve heard lots of people write kindergarten off saying things like, “Its just kindergarten.” But, gone are the days of a kindergarten day filled with nothing but finger painting, toys, and songs. Today’s kindergartners are embarking on a serious (and super exciting!) learning adventure! Kindergarten is the place where most children learn to READ, WRITE, and gain a basic understanding of MATH! They observe, explore, and study the world around them. They make new friends, and discover they can learn and act independently. It’s a magical yet supremely important time in a child’s life.
My little man started kindergarten today, and in honor of Henry beginning his 17 year educational journey, I wanted to share a list of some of my favorite books all about kindergarten!! At the start of each new school year, I kept MANY of these titles on the seasonal bookshelf in my classroom library. My class and I enjoyed reading these together, and now my own children love many of these books.
1. Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph Slate
2. The Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing
3. First Day, Hooray! by Nancy Poydar
4. Tiptoe into Kindergarten by Jacqueline Rogers
5. Grover Goes to School by Dan Elliott
6. Adventure Annie Goes to Kindergarten by Toni Buzzeo
7. Countdown to Kindergarten by Alison McGhee
8. I Love School by Philemon Sturges
9.Kindergarten Rocks! by Katie Davis
10. Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come! by Nancy Carlson
11. Countdown to the First Day of School by AnnMarie Harris
12. Tom Goes to Kindergarten by Margaret Wild
13. Welcome to Kindergarten by Anne Rockwell
14. Off to Kindergarten by Tony Johnston
15. When You Go To Kindergarten by James Howe
16. Starting School by Franzeska Ewart
Other FABULOUS Kindergartenish Reads =)
17. The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
18. Pete the Cat: Rocking in my School Shoes by James Dean
19. Curious George’s First Day of School by H.A. Rey
20. Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney
21. Hunter’s Best Friend at School by Laura Malone Elliott
22. Tucker’s Best School Day by Susan Winget
23. Froggy Goes to School by Jonathan London
24. The Berenstain Bears Go To School by Stan Berenstain
Thanks for sharing these books. My niece just started kindergarten this year. She was I excited to finally get to go to school. I want to help enhance her experience.
The Kissing Hand is one of my favorites! Great choices in books.